Early detection of disease is important. Our mouth may hold the key to identifying what ails us before we have noticeable bodily symptoms. Working in the dental field for almost seven years, I saw a lot of dirty mouths; if that was the only issue, I’d be relieved, however, dental professionals can see much more than a bacteria infested mouth. We see larger issues at work in the body. In simple terms bacteria, grows on the teeth and when that bacteria spreads to the gums they can become infected and inflamed as the body works to fight off the invaders. If the body is unable to fight off the infection, patients develop periodontists. Periodontists is a disease that can eat away the gum and bone tissue in the mouth. There is a correlation between periodontists and other diseases of the body such as diabetes, osteoporosis, acid reflux, cancer, heart issues and more. Poor oral health can indicate disease through the mouth-body connection. To learn more about the specifics of how each of these diseases seen in the mouth effect the correlating body system, check out this website.
Now that we understand what is lurking in our mouths, it is important to take care of our oral health and protect our bodies from these awful diseases. Besides brushing, flossing and eating well, there is one single practice which we feel is important. Its benefits are immeasurable; it is the ancient practice of oil pulling. My grandmother, a naturopath told me about oil pulling over a decade ago however, it was not until this year that I started practicing what she has been preaching to me. The health benefits of oil pulling are immense.
Oil pulling can be done with organic, unrefined, cold pressed sesame seed oil or coconut oil. I have used both and I will tell you coconut oil is my preferred method even though sesame seed oil is touted as the best oil for this practice. The sesame seed oil has a very distinct flavor that is let’s say interesting. We are specific in the type of oil used because it makes a big difference in the results we get. Refined oil is heated to high temperatures and will lack nutritional value due to this process. We want to use organic oil so as to avoid the pesticides that are used on conventional crops and cold-pressing preserves the life force of the oil. Use the best quality oil you can get your hands on.
The health benefits of oil pulling are best seen when done routinely. It is suggested that it is done first thing in the morning before we have had anything to eat or drink. Here’s what you need to do:
- Put one tablespoon of oil in your mouth, I like liquid coconut oil, so if your coconut oil has set in the container, give it a minute to melt in your mouth before you begin swishing.
- We want to swish the oil in our mouth for a full 20 minutes. 20 minutes is a magical number as it is long enough to break down the bacteria and plaque in the mouth and not long enough for the body to reabsorb these toxins.
- After 20 minutes spit the oil out in the trash can; it should be a milky white color.
- Rinse your mouth with water and then brush your teeth well.
The Health Benefits Of Oil Pulling
The health benefits of oil pulling go beyond drawing bacteria out of the mouth and throat while brightening your smile. We know that coconut oil has many health benefits. Here are the health benefits of oil pulling according to the Global Healing Center .
• Overall strengthening of the teeth and gums and jaws
• Prevention of diseases of the gums, mouth, such as cavities and gingivitis
• Prevention of for bad breath
• Potential holistic remedy for bleeding gums
• Prevention of dryness of the lips, mouth and throat
• Possible holistic treatment for TMJ and general soreness in the jaw area
• Migraine headache relief
• Supporting hormone imbalances
• Reducing redness and swelling in bones and joints
• May help with gastroenteritis
• Aids in the reduction of eczema
• Helps support normal kidney function
• May help reduce congestion
• Some people report improved vision
• Helps promote normal sleep patterns
• Reduced hangover after alcohol consumption
• Aids in reducing discomfort
• Helps detoxify the body
With so many benefits and no side effects, it is logical to try oil pulling for yourself and reap the health benefits of oil pulling. If you found this blog helpful, share it with your friends so we can all lead happy, healthier lives.